Monday, August 6, 2007

Kosovo: Return of property halted

BELGRADE -- UNMIK chief Joachim Ruecker has decided to temporarily put on hold the return of property in Kosovo.

The decree 2007/41, halting the process, was passed on August 2. It suspends decree 2006/50 from October last year, pertaining to return of private property.

Serbia’s state secretary with the Ministry for Kosovo, Dušan Proroković, said the decision was “one of the most scandalous in the eight-year history of UNMIK”.

“It awards usurpers, and punished over 25,000 Serb families that applied for the return of their property,” Proroković told Beta.

He added Ruecker’s decision made impossible for any return of the non-Albanian residents to the province, and legalized the results of ethnic cleansing of July 1999 and March 2004.

“We need to react to this using diplomatic and political means, but we must also examine the possibility of filing a lawsuit against Joachim Ruecker with domestic and international courts,” Proroković said, and added such acts were not protected by diplomatic immunity.

Serb National Council of Northern Kosovo president Milan Ivanović told the agency the decree was illegal and directed against vital Serb interest.

“The decision puts Ruecker on the side of Albanian usurpers of Serb property, prejudices the future status of Kosovo and stands against Resolution 1244,” Ivanović said.

(Source :

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites
eXTReMe Tracker